Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful

Alright, I know it's been too long, but today I have to add memories of gobble gobble and let all of you know how thankful I am you are a part of my life.

Lets see, the most vivid memories are of my mom's blonde desk that turned into an enormous dining table. It was used 2 times a year, Thanksgiving and Easter. We always had my Aunt Vi and her troop to dinner as well as Grama Fillbrook. That meant there were between 10 and 12. Always a 20 lb turkey. I remember Mom getting up at 4 am to start it. Oh, forgot, when the table was opened I got to set it with mom's Jewel tea autumn leaf dishes and silver. Also had these tiny dishes mom would put olive oil and salt and pepper in and we would get to dip celery in them.

My favorite dish was the stuffing and all she ever made was enough to stuff that bird, so I remember cleaning the ribs out of left over stuffing.

My most memorable Thanksgiving was the time mom asked me to say grace and I said, " God is great, God is good, rah rah God." Mom was the only one that did not think I was funny and sent me to my room without dinner, but did haul me down to do dishes. Joni and I did them , but we laughed the whole time.

I am most grateful I can be grateful for the little things in life. I believe in daily miracles (a friend calls as you are thinking of her, you drop cookies on the floor and no one sees you so you serve them to company, the thing you go to the store for is on sale, a soft summer day, the smell of bread and soup on a winters day and memories), See, daily miracles, don't wait for the big ones as you are liable to miss the daily ones. I am grateful for my upbringing in the Lucchesi clan in the UP. This is even tho I was sure as a child I was adopted and my real parents were movie stars that would come and take me to Hollywood. Never happened, and I got the gift of a yooper childhood.

this is Cookie, over and out-Love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment