Tuesday, June 9, 2009

mom and grandparents

My mom was a woman before her time. She finished high school and went to Soumi college in Hancock for business, but did not finish. She also started beauty school, but had to quit because of allergies. When I was 12 she went to work for Bancroft Dairy and worked as a book keeper for 8 years. She then was head bookeeper for the city of Houghton water dept. for 5 years. Then went to Houghton High school and was bookeeper and secretary to the superintendent until her retirement. She died of Alzhiemer disease. She loved to knit and to walk. Her cooking did leave a little for improvement. She MADE me go to school. She told me she wanted me to have an education as that made me more than just a woman. Smart lady. She was crabby, but was always the rock of all families within our street. quite the lady.

Grandpa Fillbrook died of a heart attack when I was 2 so I never really knew him. He was alway depicted as funny and loved to have fun. My favorite story about him was when asked what he wanted done with his body when he died he said, "stick a bone up my ass and let the dog drag me around the back yard."

Grama Lucchesi also died that year of breast cancer. Never knew her either. Was always told she was an incredible cook and was as wide as she was tall.

Grandpa Lucchesi had a thick Italian accent and was hard for me to understand. He lived in a house that belonged to the copper mines. He did finally buy it. His toilet was in his stone basement and I made my dad stay outside that door until I was finished well into my adulthood. Memories of fighting cocks Grandpa kept in cages in the basement during the winters scared the devil out of me. He always made me look at the Easter story on his stereoscope no matter what time of year it was. He always asked me how school was and told me to tell my teachers I was a good girl. My grandpa said so. He was 99 when he died in 1968. He loved gardening and brandy.

Grama Fillbrook was a redhead full of fire when young. When Grandpa died she lived in the same home and Aunt Vi and her family lived with her. She was kind to me and loved me. she was very protective of me. When report cards were due and I knew I was going to catch heck from my mom I would tell her and she would come to our house and keep mom in line. I think my mom was scared of her mom. Gram loved tea and violets. When she was at our home we always had tea and cookies in the afternoon. She always put milk in her tea. Loved it when the cookies were lorna dunes or chocolate striped. Shse was a good cook and my favorite thing she made was heavy cake. She came from England and worked as a maid before she married. Her maiden name was Moyle. One favorite memory of her was going to the mother daughter banquet for mothers day at the Hurontown Methodist Church. Alway gram, mom, me and cousin Joni went., Gram was 97 when she died. She had breast cancer and glucoma she struggled with for years. She live with mom and dad when her health declined. I wasn't always nice to her, but she always loved me. She always gave me a dollar for my birthday, which was alot for her as she really had no money.

That's it for now kiddies... Love you all-Nona

No comments:

Post a Comment