Monday, June 8, 2009

the start

I was born September 25, 1946 in Hancock Michigan. My parents were Ralph Antonio Lucchesi and Edith Lyle (Fillbrook)Lucchesi. . Mom told me she gained 60 lb. during her pregnancy with me. She also said she was in the hospital for 2 weeks (routine stay for that time.) They kept her in bed for a week and she fainted when they got her up. My how things have changed.

A little about Mom. She was born at home to Edith Moyle Fillbrook and George Donald Fillbrook.. She was the second of a set of twins that were so small they were put in a both in the wood stove to keep them warm and fed with an eyedroopper.. She and her sister Violet May had 2 older brothers, John and Glen. My Aunt Vi has always lived in the house they were born 404 Baraga Avenue.

My dad was also born at home to Amelia Checci and Felix Lucchei. He had 2 sisters, Anna and Matilda. Three brothers, Peter, Joseph and Arthur. Anna died of Brights disease and TIlly died of breast cancer. Art had epilepsy and waskept up in the attic after his seizures. He was mildly retartded because of this. Remember this was the time before medicine was invented for it. One memory my dad told me was when he was in 6th grade his family made him quit school and work in the copper mines. He hated that so he would take a train from Laurium where he lived to Houghton and would steal stuff to take back and sell. He eventually got a job delivering propane gas and then became a furniture salesman. Despite his lack of education he was great at math and had excellent English. His parents were both from Italy, but he never spoke Italian. He was married before he met my mother and she died of an illegal abortion. They had 3 children, Patt, Fred (Ace) and Paul. They were 13, 12 and 10 when my parents were married.

Only 2 stories of my infancy. First my nickname was Cookie which was given to me by Aunt Vi. She claimed I was as sweet as a Cookie. Second when I was about 6mo old, my mom was in the kitchen and she noticed the older boys throwing what she thought was a football from living room to dining room . She went in to yell at them and found it was their baby sister they were throwing. Baby sister loved it. Enough for now, will get back to the stories later.

No comments:

Post a Comment